Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Marc Steiner and the Pratt Library

Marc Steiner
http://www.steinershow.org/about/marc-steiner/


I watched two videos which were introductory video on Marc Steiner and video of Steiner’s lecture at UMBC.  First, I watched the introductory video about Marc Steiner. It was very interesting. My thoughts are that Steiner did a lot of social activism for many years. I can see that he was very passionate. I never knew that Steiner was the youngest civil rights worker in Maryland. It was obvious that he began his social activism at a young age. I thought it was cool that Steiner went to Baltimore City College (high school) since my dad did attend the same school during his teenage years.
The second video I watched was Steiner’s lecture at UMBC. Steiner talked about CEM (Center for Emerging Media) and “the importance of developing deep listening skills.” He addressed many things such as social activism, social justice, housing issues, history relating to Baltimore, and Baltimore itself as an important part of growing issues within the community. Overall, I thought it was interesting and learned several things that I never.

The front of the Central Library
http://www.prattlibrary.org/locations/central/



                On the separate subject, I went to the Enoch Pratt Library last Thursday. I got my library card with the help of Prof. King. She and I went to the Maryland Dept. to look for information relating to Bethlehem-Fairfield shipyards. Both of us found many old articles about the subject. I uncovered numerous interesting things (facts and stories) about shipyards. I enjoyed reading and learning about it. I planned to come back to the library to look more. Plus the library itself is very beautiful with many architecture aspects.  


                While I was looking at the articles at the library, one of my interpreters and her husband were with me. Both of them were also reading the articles. As we were reading together, I discovered that both of them have connections with Bethlehem-Fairfield shipyards since both have uncles that worked at shipyards years ago and during in World War II. At one point, my interpreter’s husband saw a picture of an article containing several women who were labor workers at the shipyards. He thought that one of several women in the picture could be a former girlfriend of a family member. I thought it was very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment